Sealion Island - History



Sealion Islands Last Sheep

The island was originally a sheep farm and the farmhouse was built from an old sailing shipwreck, the British vessel Viscount, which wrecked here in 1892. However, since the decline in the wool market and a growing interest in the protection of the ecology of the island, all sheep have been removed from the island. As a result, the native grasses have thrived and Sea Lion Island has more tussac than any other of the Falkland Islands. 

In 1982, the British warship HMS Sheffield was sunk by Argentine Forces. A memorial dedicated to the crew of the Sheffield can be found near the southern tip of the island at Bull Hill (approx. 150ft – 46m – high).


Sea Lion Lodge accommodates up to 20 persons and group discounts are available. Prices are per person and include full board at the lodge.

more information
Walking on Sea Lion Island is easy going and guests can find all manner of whale and seal bones on the beaches, as well as debris from shipwrecks.

more information
Sea Lion Lodge strives to be as environmentally friendly as possible given its remote position, through the use of solar panels and wind turbines.

more information
Sea Lion Island abounds with wildlife. Visitors to the island will encounter a wide range of species all within easy reach from the Lodge.

more information